Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Teacher Thank-you Gifts

I wanted to make something cute and thoughtful for my son's teachers as "end of the school" Thank You gifts. But I am also trying to be budget conscious since I bought a minivan this month and have been freaking out about spending that much cash at once. So here's what I whipped up for the teachers. Pencil jars!

I am in the habit of saving glass jars. They are so practical and I always think I will make something really cute out of them at some point. So luckily I had these jars on hand along with all the crafty supplies. I picked paper to go with each teacher's classroom. One of the teachers is a huge Seattle Seahawks fan so I did her jar with that theme. I cut the paper to fit around the jar and laminated the paper on the outside only so that I could still attach it to the jar easily, but it wouldn't get wrecked quickly in the classroom. I attached it to the jar with that red double-sided sticky tape and then added some ribbon. I filled the jars with pencils, pens and highlighters. The only problem is the smallest jar's lid wouldn't close with the pencils inside so I just filled that jar with candy instead. I printed off some sweet poems to put in the jars and voila! my gifts were ready. I'm sure the teachers will like them.

Here are the poems I used. I didn't write them, I just found them online:

Poem #1:
You are my special teacher
I just want you to know
I always had fun in your class
How the time has flown!
Thank you for helping me
To learn all that I know
I will always remember you
Even when I'm grown!
I'll miss you being my teacher
I know the reason why
I am feeling very sad
Because it's time to say goodbye

Poem #2:
"Whose child is this?" I asked one day
Seeing a little one out at play
"Mine", said the parent with a tender smile
"Mine to keep a little while
To bathe his hands and comb his hair
To tell him what he is to wear
To prepare him that he may always be good
And each day do the things he should"

"Whose child is this?" I asked again
As the door opened and someone came in
"Mine", said the teacher with the same tender smile
"Mine, to keep just for a little while
To teach him how to be gentle and kind
To train and direct his dear little mind
To help him live by every rule
And get the best he can from school"

"Whose child is this?" I ask once more
Just as the little one entered the door
"Ours" said the parent and the teacher as they smiled
And each took the hand of the little child
"Ours to love and train together
Ours this blessed task forever."

No comments: