Friday, January 6, 2012

It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.

I was watching an episode of "Body of Proof" (medical examiner, crime, drama type show).  In the episode, there was a very grouchy man who was struggling as he tried to diet.  He was just miserable and was irritable to everyone near him.  Finally, his friend/coworker sat next to him and asked him what was wrong.  The friend said that he had a college professor who had said something that left an impression on him....

"It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you."

That was a very insightful quote in my opinion.  I googled it and found that there is even a book with that title.  In the show, they were able to discuss feelings and gain insights. 

Many women (and men) eat for reasons other than hunger.  We can eat due to sadness, stress, happiness, nervousness, anxiety, etc.  So the next time I find myself reaching for something to nibble when I am not really hungry, I am going to ask myself what's eating at me.

No comments: