Top Topics

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Bullying - STOP IT!

Here's a wonderful anti-bullying video made by my son's 5th grade class.  As a substitute teacher, I am very aware of bullying at school and try to stop it in it's tracks.  But it still happens and it hurts my heart.  I've also seen it happen among adults.  I'm not sure how we can totally eliminate bullying but I do think video projects like this make a difference.  I know this particular group of 5th graders will be more aware after creating this as well as their families and friends who have viewed it.


My son's teacher also made this anti-bullying video the next year.  What a worthwhile tradition. #breakthecycle




I also thought this video called "Bullying - Stop It!" was very moving.  We can examine our own lives and see if we need to adjust our behaviors.


Here's a great article by President Uchtdorf (the man who is speaking in the video) that talks about being merciful and forgiving toward each other.



This is one my favorite parts of the article:

"This topic of judging others could actually be taught in a two-word sermon. When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following:

Stop it!


It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children. God is our Father. We are His children. We are all brothers and sisters. I don’t know exactly how to articulate this point of not judging others with sufficient eloquence, passion, and persuasion to make it stick. I can quote scripture, I can try to expound doctrine, and I will even quote a bumper sticker I recently saw. It was attached to the back of a car whose driver appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but the words on the sticker taught an insightful lesson. It read, “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.”

We must recognize that we are all imperfect—that we are beggars before God. Haven’t we all, at one time or another, meekly approached the mercy seat and pleaded for grace? Haven’t we wished with all the energy of our souls for mercy—to be forgiven for the mistakes we have made and the sins we have committed?

Because we all depend on the mercy of God, how can we deny to others any measure of the grace we so desperately desire for ourselves? My beloved brothers and sisters, should we not forgive as we wish to be forgiven?"

I also liked this "self-test" from the article:

“Do you harbor a grudge against someone else?

Do you gossip, even when what you say may be true?

Do you exclude, push away, or punish others because of something they have done?

Do you secretly envy another?

Do you wish to cause harm to someone?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may want to apply the two-word sermon from earlier: stop it!

In a world of accusations and unfriendliness, it is easy to gather and cast stones. But before we do so, let us remember the words of the One who is our Master and model: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.”


Brothers and sisters, let us put down our stones.”



Here is a Facebook page that discusses about how to stop bullying.  It was created in honor of our friends' son, Matthew Parker, who passed away nearly three years ago in a tragic boating accident on a Boy Scout outing.  Before he died, he struggled with being bullied at school and it was heartbreaking for him and his family.  Kudos to Matthew's incredible parents, sisters, and the community for their work on the "Matthew Parker Project." Their motto is "Be a buddy... not a bully." We can all try to do this in our lives. Spread the word.

No comments: