Top Topics

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Grammarly Study - People with Stronger Writing Skills Are Better at Their Jobs, Get Paid More

Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I love grammar, spelling, root words, vocab, etc.  I am a self-proclaimed Word Nerd.

When I substitute teach, I try to persuade students to understand that writing skills are crucial to all careers and that people are more successful when they can communicate effectively (both verbally and with the written word).  I bring language arts into all subject areas - science, social studies, and even math.  With the new "Common Core State Standards," students will be expected to have even stronger writing skills than ever before.

In the infographic below, Grammarly provides data and statistics to support my argument in this area.




In case you haven't heard of Grammarly, they claim to offer the "World's Best Grammar Checker." Their website says Grammarly "improves your emails, social media posts, and document by checking for grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes."

After editing a ton of 5th grade essays this week, I would have appreciated some help from Grammarly so the students could have found their own mistakes initially and then brought more of a finished writing product to me. Not every student can receive one on one attention from a teacher or parent for every project. Even my three sons, who are actually really awesome writers, could benefit from using this program.  If you want to check it out, click HERE.

As a side note, when I graduated from college with a B.A. in English, I was hired by a wonderful educational toy company in Northern California.  The position was in the purchasing department and involved extensive communication with foreign and domestic vendors, banks, expediting companies, shipping companies, U.S. Customs, and various departments in the office.  My starting salary was higher than others who had been in that same position before I was hired.  The reason?  Well, they said that since I had an English degree they knew I had critical thinking skills and could communicate effectively.  They knew they could train me on all the other aspects of the job since I had those essential skills.  Sweet!


No comments: