Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In Memory of Abby

This is a beautiful poem written by my friend Jennifer. Her precious little Abby returned to live with Heavenly Father a few months after she wrote this poem. Abby was born a few months before Jonah and she passed away on her second Thanksgiving day. Every Thanksgiving Day I look at my sweet little Jonah and think of Abby and how big she would have been had she lived. My heart aches when I think of her sudden sickness and death, but I know that she will someday be reunited with her family. Abby's parents (and grandparents) are some of the spiritually strongest people I have met and their testimonies of the Savior and His Atonement are stronger than ever. This poem was included on her funeral program. I think most mothers will relate to the tender feelings during moments alone with our babies and how quickly the time passes.

For Abby
September 29, 2003
Tonight I rocked and held you close,
My precious little daughter,
Unwilling to let go this day,
Of baby loves and infant ways,
I pressed your cheek against my face
As smooth as clay to potter.
Tonight our breath was sweet and slow,
My sweetest little angel,
Mine fell low and yours fell light -
Music in the gentle night,
Up and down and eyes shut tight
As rhythmic as if rain fell.
Tonight I wished for nothing else
My darling dearest child,
Than that which I held close to me -
Your cuddly warmth in slumber deep,
This happy hour when clock hands sleep,
Our mother-daughter reverie
As we our heaven styled.
Jennifer Ferre

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

that is so sad. why does death often happen on a holiday?? life can be so rough at times.