Monday, July 28, 2008

Talk - The Holy Ghost is a Special Gift (for 8 year olds)

This is a talk I have used when asked to speak about the Holy Ghost at Stake Youth Baptisms. I have also used it at our "Baptism Fireside" at the beginning of the year to teach all the kids about the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I used a picture to hold up for each of the BOLD words.

After you are baptized today, you will be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is a very special gift. There are different things that can remind you of the things that the Holy Ghost can do for you.

A MOUTH can remind you that the Holy Ghost speaks in a still small voice.

An EAR can remind you to listen to the Holy Ghost because he will guide you and help you to choose the right.

The Holy Ghost is like a WARM BLANKET because he can comfort you. The Holy Ghost is sometimes called the comforter. He can bring you strength and comfort when you need to make hard decisions in your life or when you are sad or lonely.

The BOOK OF MORMON can remind you that the Holy Ghost always speaks the truth. When you study and pray about the Book of Mormon, Heavenly Father can let you know through the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true.

A BOOK can remind you that the Holy Ghost is a teacher. The Holy Ghost can help you understand the scriptures and the teachings of our Prophets and Leaders. It can also help you learn at church, school and home.

The Holy Ghost will light your way like a CANDLE and help you walk along the righteous path that leads back to our Heavenly Father.

The HEART can remind you that sometimes you won’t hear the Holy Ghost, but you will feel a warm feeling in your heart. The heart can also remind you that because Heavenly Father and Jesus love you, they have given you the very special gift of the Holy Ghost to help you to return to live with them someday.

It is my prayer that each of you will try your best to be worthy to have the Holy Ghost with you all the time and that you will listen to the Holy Ghost.

18 comments:

Debbie Savage said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing.

carrie said...

this is perfect, i was so worried about my talk and this has helped me get some 8 year old appropriate ideas. thanks

Torri said...

Ditto!

Jaime said...

Just found this through a google search. Speaking at our Great to Be 8 Fireside tomorrow night, and needed something with a visual touch to it. This is perfect. Thanks for the idea.

Janae Moss said...

Thank you for the idea :) It is late at night before my neices baptism in the morning. It is easy to know what you want to say, but this helps put very deep feelings into an eight year olds language. Thanks!

Unknown said...

My son is speaking at my daughter's baptism. This will be perfect!!! Thank you!

Rochelle Barlow said...

I'm speaking at a baptism today, because of a last minute cancellation. Thank you for this talk, it is perfect perfect!

lilia said...

this was perfect for my daughter to use.. last minute!!! Thanks so much for sharing :0)

Stacy said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm speaking at a baptism tomorrow and this is perfect! :)

Tweeb and Danyette said...

thank you, thank you, thank you! I am doing a sharing time lesson on the Holy Ghost and this will be perfect to go along with it.

Anonymous said...

thanks alot for sharing. im speaking at a baptism this week. and I couldn't put it in a better way then what you have. this is great.

Rachel said...

Thanks so much for sharing this great idea. It will be perfect for the baptism I'm speaking at this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! I just found out I'm speaking at my niece's baptism on Sunday (it's Wednesday!) and this will help me immensely. It's perfect for an 8-year old.

Safe and Savvy Living said...

I say ditto to the last like all of the comments. :) I am speaking at my cousins baptism tomorrow and I'm going to use this :) Thanks a million :)

Krista Openshaw said...

Thank you SO much! This will make a last minute talk so much better (we just found out today that the little boy that was being baptized with my son won't be there after all, so we are responsible for BOTH talks). I'm planning on giving a little "gift" for each of the ideas you mentioned...Chapstick for lips, ear-muffs for ears, Book of Mormon for that one, a church related book for teacher, a blanket, a flash light for the candle and something shaped as a heart for that one.

Krista Openshaw said...

Thank you SO much! This will make a last minute talk so much better (we just found out today that the little boy that was being baptized with my son won't be there after all, so we are responsible for BOTH talks). I'm planning on giving a little "gift" for each of the ideas you mentioned...Chapstick for lips, ear-muffs for ears, Book of Mormon for that one, a church related book for teacher, a blanket, a flash light for the candle and something shaped as a heart for that one.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this! Using it at a baptism :)