Easter Egg Scriptures:
Cut the the following scriptures and put each one with the item indicated into a plastic Easter egg. Write the number of the egg on the outside of the egg so you can open them in order. You can hide them as part of an Easter egg hunt or just take turns opening the eggs, showing the items and reading the scriptures.
1. And he went a little further, and fell on his face and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will but as thou wilt. (Matt. 26:39) (Sacrament cup)
2. Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, and said unto them, what will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. (Matthew 26: 14-15) (3 dimes)
3. Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; hold him fast. (Matthew 26:48) (chocolate kiss)
4. When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death; and when they had bound him, they led him away and delivered him to Pontius Pilate, the governor. (Matt. 27:1-2) (small piece of twine or rope)
5. When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude saying, I am innocent of the blood of that just person. See ye to it. Then answered all the people and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. Then released he Barabbas unto them; and when he had scourged Jesus he delivered him to be crucified. (Matt. 27:24-26) (small piece of soap)
6. And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe. And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him saying, Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head. (Matthew 27:28-30) (red fabric)
7. And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him, and as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene , Simon by name; him they compelled to bear his cross. (Matt. 27:31-32) (small wooden cross and/or nail)
8. Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost and behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent. ... Now when the Centurion and they that were with him, watching Jesus saw the earthquake and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. (Matt. 27:50-51, 54) (small broken rocks or a little dirt tied up in a small plastic bag or wrap)
9. And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new tomb. (Matt. 27:59-60) (white cloth)
10. And he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulcher and departed. Then Pilate said unto them (the chief priests and Pharisees), Ye have a watch, go your way, make it as sure as you can. So they went, and made the sepulchre sure sealing the stone and setting a watch. (Matt. 27:60, 65-66) (round stone)
11. And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices that they might come and anoint him. (Mark 16:1) (spices in a small plastic bag or wrap, or myrrh)
12. HE IS NOT HERE, FOR HE IS RISEN, AS HE SAID. (Matt. 28:5) (empty)
*For the wooden cross you can hot-glue pieces of chopsticks or other wood in a cross shape. Also, you can buy bags of frankincense and myrrh online. They come in bags with lots of small pieces (kind of like bits of hardened sap). I did it last Christmas and gave pieces out as part of my Christmas gifts to neighbors, and still have a bunch left over. I also ordered real widow's mites online. The low grade ones cost from $3 to $8 each, depending on the quality, but they made great Christmas presents for the kids and my visiting teachees.
Also, as an alternative to #3 with the kiss or one of the others, some people use the scripture quote about the men casting lots for his clothes, and put a couple of small dice in the egg. I'm still debating which I like better. You'd have to renumber the the eggs since this would come after #7.
(Thanks to my sister-in-law Tadiana for this Easter lesson/activity)