Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Recommendation - Tangerine by Edward Bloor


My junior high age son was assigned to read this book at school this year.  So like the crazed, book-fanatic mom that I am, I bought a copy of it at the local used book store and decided to take a peek before I gave it to him.  It hooked me right in and I read it in just a few days. 

I would recommend this book to boys and girls who are at least in 5th grade as well as to junior high and high school students.  As an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think the topics would be suitable for a book club discussion.

Some themes that are addressed in this book are:
- family dynamics/relationships
- stereotypes and prejudices
- environmental issues
- racism
- bullying
- treatment of kids with IEP's/disabilities
- teamwork (in sports, working, school, etc.)
- rich vs. poor
- athletics
- moving to a new town
- making friends, etc.
- fear and confronting past traumatic events

Click HERE to read another blogger's thoughts about this book.

No comments: