Click HERE to read my original post about The 5 Love Languages.
5 LOVE LANGUAGES FOR COUPLES
Need some ideas on how to speak your spouse's love language? Here are some from Dr. Chapman's book:
- Some couples are together a lot more than others. If that's the case for you, don't try to make all your time together "quality time." Designate specific times and places for planned togetherness.
- Ask your spouse for a list of five activities that he would enjoy doing with you - don't assume you know. Make plans to do one of them each month for the next five months. If money is an issue, space the freebies between the "we can't afford this" events.
- One way to share quality time at a distance is to include your spouse in your day as it is happening. Send a photo of something you saw on your walk to the office or relay a funny incident that happened in a meeting. One woman said, "My husband sent a photo of him, my daughter, and the dog sitting on the front porch. I was at work and it made me feel like I was hanging out with them.
- Think of an activity your spouse enjoys, but which brings little pleasure to you: SEC football, crafting, nature photography. Tell your spouse that you are trying to broaden your horizons and would like to join them in this activity sometime this month. Set a date and give it your best effort.
- Plan a weekend getaway just for the two of you sometime within the next six months. Be sure it is a weekend when you won't have to be in touch with the office or have a family commitment. Focus on relaxing together doing what one or both of you enjoy.
- Make time every day to share with each other some of the events of the day. When you spend more time watching the news that you do listening to each other, you end up more concerned about the Middle East than about your spouse. Or: When you spend more time on Facebook than you do listening to each other, you end up more concerned about your hundred "friends" than about your spouse.
- You have chores to do anyway, so talk as you dust, declutter, and do laundry. It will make the work go much faster.
- Read the travel section in the Sunday paper together and dream out loud about places you'd like to go. Whether you actually go to these places or not, it's fun to imagine together.
Click HERE to read my post about The 5 Love Languages of Children