Friday, December 12, 2014

Christmas Hersheys Candy Bar Wrappers

I consider myself a pretty thoughtful person but usually I feel overwhelmed during the holidays so my thoughtfulness doesn't always end up matching my actions... well at least not without a lot of sleep deprivation and stress.  I'm sure many people can relate.

So this year I decided that I would get on top of the teacher gifts earlier than in years past.  That means not staying up late the night before the last day of school to get them all put together.  

My kids switch classes so that means I have 18 teacher gifts to make.  Plus my cute hubby decided he wanted me to make them for his coworkers so that added another dozen or so.


I have compassion on those who are in the same boat as I am so I decided to share my super easy gift with others to spread the Christmas joy and ease some stress.  The bars listed above have my personalized wrappers but I created a generic one for others to use (after receiving requests from several of my friends around the country).

Here's how to do it.


1) Design a candy bar wrapper (I already did this so you can use mine if you'd like). Click HERE to download my PDF file.  Or you can design your own by downloading free chalkboard fonts on this blog and a free chalkboard background at this website.  I used PowerPoint to design mine. If you create your own, be sure to save it as a PDF file as well.

2) Download the PDF file on to a flash drive and take it to a copy shop like Staples.  They can pull the file up from your flash drive to print.  Ask them to print it on regular copy paper.  There are 4 wrappers per page so just figure out how many you need to print. Note: You really don't want to print even one of these out at home because it will use A TON of ink.  I am way too frugal for that.

3) Buy your candy bars.  I bought a box of 36 normal sized Hershey bars at Costco for a little over $20.  I'm sure you could buy them individually someplace else if you wanted a smaller quantity.

4) Cut the copies so that you get 4 wrappers from each page.  Wrap the paper around each of the bars and tape on the back. The paper won't quite wrap around the entire bar (there will be a gap).  If they had wrapped all the way around, it would have involved twice as many copies.  I think I mentioned that I am frugal so I didn't want to do that.

5) The candy bars I made were personalized with my kids' names so the teacher would know who gave the gift.  You'll need to add a little tag or sticker to the back since these wrappers are more generic.  

If you want to spend some more money, you can attach something additional to the back of the candy bar.  For my high schooler, I attached a QT gift card to the back of the bar.  For my younger son, I attached movie ticket vouchers that I purchased at Costco.  My husband's coworkers were just given the candy bars.


Legal stuff: Please note that the fonts I used are free for personal and non-profit use.  If you decide to sell something using these fonts, you'll need to purchase them from the person who created them.

No comments: